In an email correspondence with the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club,
We’re off to a good start this year. We got 47,500 eggs and losses have been minimal. The eggs are starting to hatch so we expect to be moving from the incubator building to the hatchery within a few months, depending on the weather.
That sounds great and can’t wait to see them in the river this June.
Check out the video I made while spending the day with the club stocking the Atlantic Salmon that were partially paid for and supported by our raffles at Spey Nation Events. See you all this June 24th at the Pineville Lot for our 10th Spey Nation Celebration!
This Spey fly tying video was put together for the Revive Fly Fishing online magazine (http://reviveflyfishing.com/).
The fly is the Grapefruit Leech. It’s a steelhead swing bug designed by Kevin Feenstra (http://www.feenstraguideservice.com/). The fly has proven to be a very effective swing bug for Great Lakes steelhead.
The material and instructions for the Grapefruit Leech can be found on Kevin’s site at http://www.feenstraguideservice.com/pdf/grapefruithead_fly.pdf.
Hook: Daiichi 2461 or equivalent 3xl streamer hook size 4-2/0
Tail: Black Marabou with sparse red ﬂash
Hackle: Black or Purple Schlappen
Body: Black Marabou Feather
Collar: Large Mallard Flank
Flash: Combination of Green, Silver, and Blue Flashabou
Head: Fuchsia large cactus chenille followed by a veil of chartreuse ice dub
The Grapefruit Leech has proven to be an effective fly on both sides of the Great Lakes. Swung on a traditional wet fly swing presentation the Grapefruit Leech is full of contrast and movement. Especially effective on dark days, in high water, or lower in the river, this and other leech/intruder patterns can elicit that type of grab we are always looking for. Keep looking at our blog as we bring you more Spey Fly Tying Videos from across the web.
Cack Handed Categories
- 2016 SCSDFSFNMPD
- Environmental Stuff
- Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes
- Fly Tying
- Gear Reviews
- Great Lakes News
- Lessons After the Event
- Like Minded Mofos
- Raffle Prizes
- Salmon River Regulations
- Spey Casting Tips
- Spey Casting Video
- Spey Fishing Equipment
- Spey Fishing Video
- Spey Fly Tying Video
- Spey Nation Presenter
- Spey Nation Supporters
- Trout Spey
- Week In Review
- 2 Handed Trout
- Alaska West Blog
- Burkheimer Fly Rod Blog
- Cutthroats Galore
- D-Loop Spey Casting
- Emerald Waters
- Fly Fishing Tails
- Gink and Gasoline Gink and Gasoline is about a vision. It’s about challenging ourselves as fishermen and sharing the experience. We see it as our mission to live the dream and bring it back home to you.
- Ian Gordon
- Mark Shamburg Bamboo
- Michigan Fly Rico Suave and a Drunk Chunk
- New England Spey Clave
- Northeast Fly and Spey Fishing Guide
- Northern Michigan Fly Fishing Blog freelance writer and photographer and guide Alex
- Oregon Steelhead
- Rogue River Salmon Steelhead Board
- Salmon River Spey Blog
- Skagit Master Forum
- Southern Oregon Fly Fishing
- Spey Casting Northeast
- Spey Craft
- Spey Fishing Ohio
- Spey Pages
- Spey Today
- Steelhead Chaser
- Steelhead Manifesto
- Steelhead On The Spey
- The Rasperry Patch
- The River's Course
- Verno's Fly Fishing Blog
- Beulah Donates A Platinum Spey Rod to Benefit Atlantic Salmon Conservation.
- Update from the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club
- 2017 Spey Nation Update Email Went Out Today
- 10th Annual Spey Nation 2017 Official Flyer Released!
- Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Meeting Jan 28.
- Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Meeting is Thursday Jan. 28 @ 7:00 at the Camden Rod & Gun Club.
- Thomas & Thomas Announces the DNA TroutSpeySeries
- SEALICED from Salmon Junkies on Vimeo.
- We like videos with grabby steelhead
- The Mystic M-Series 3113-4 Switch Review