Browsing articles in "Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes"

monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club

Oct 9, 2011   //   by Geoff Schaake   //   Cack Handed, Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes  //  Comments Off on monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club

Sept. 22, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:  The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club was called to order at 7:10 PM by Tom Schneider.

Tom reported on the ultra-violet degradation of our sign at the hatchery and his effort to have a new sign made.

Discussion continued on things we are doing to modify the hatchery equipment and enclosure for this year:

·         Tank #1 has been moved and modified to be more like #2 & #3.  A new stand for it has been completed.  The tank floatation guide system has been completed and foam insulation inserted into the tank wall cavities.  The tank has been leveled and insulated.  New egg baskets will still need to be built for this tank.

·         Tank #2 has been insulated and leveled.  The tank flotation guide system still needs to be installed.

·         Tank #3 was moved to a better location, insulated and leveled.  The floatation guide system still needs to be installed.

·         Sheet plastic has been installed under the cement ceiling section of the hatchery to reduce heat loss there.  Insulation may be added later.

·         The heavy clear plastic material, which Gene had recommended, is being installed to improve the down-stream curtain end of the hatchery.

·         Harden plans to complete work on the hatchery roof, as soon as their work schedule permits.

·         Scheduled work days to complete the planned modifications will continue at 9:30 AM each Sunday, until the work is completed.

Meeting adjourned at around 8:00 PM.  Our next meeting will be held on October 27th at 7 PM in the Camden Rod and Gun Club Building.

Much of this is made possible by the contributions of Spey Nation.

The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club

Sep 23, 2011   //   by Geoff Schaake   //   Cack Handed, Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes  //  Comments Off on The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club

August 25, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:  The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club was called to order at 7:10 PM by Tom Schneider.

Tom reported on his progress toward developing the new poster for the identification of Atlantic salmon in comparison to brown trout.  The poster will show actual pictures to help fishermen determine the difference.

Discussion continued on things we feel need to be done to modify the hatchery equipment and enclosure for this year:

·         We are planning to add insulation and plastic film to parts of the hatchery to reduce the heat losses.

·         Tank #1 has been moved and modified to be more like #2 & #3.  We plan to build a new stand for it to be like the others.  New egg baskets will also need to be built for this tank.

·         Gene Carey presented a clear heavy vinyl material and drawing for improving the curtain end for the downstream end of the hatchery.  While it is more expensive, it definitely looks good and should last for several years.  If temperature tests look satisfactory, we could to go ahead with the new curtain.

·         We plan to use vertical ¾ inch pipe and stainless steel screw eyes attached to our tank stands to allow our tanks and stands to float up safely in case of flooding.  This will prevent the tanks from rolling, and when the water goes back down the tanks will resume their original position again.

·         After much discussion on how to reduce the silt in our tank water, we decided to investigate a nearby stream that may be a source for cleaner water and better pressure.  Since water tests will be needed, water flow available throughout the winter determined and possible permissions needed, we will not be able to complete this modification this year.  This would be a fairly large project for us to undertake, but the benefits could solve both the silt and the water supply pressure problems expected during flood conditions.

·         Scheduled work days to do the modifications will start Sept. 4th at 9:30 AM and continue each Sunday, same time, thereafter until the work is completed.

Meeting adjourned at around 8:30 PM.  Our next meeting will be held on September 22nd at 7 PM in the Camden Rod and Gun Club Building.

Respectfully submitted,

Arley Morey, Club Secretary

August 25, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:

Aug 30, 2011   //   by Geoff Schaake   //   Cack Handed, Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes  //  Comments Off on August 25, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:

August 25, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:  The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club was called to order at 7:10 PM by Tom Schneider.

Tom reported on his progress toward developing the new poster for the identification of Atlantic salmon in comparison to brown trout.  The poster will show actual pictures to help fishermen determine the difference.

Discussion continued on things we feel need to be done to modify the hatchery equipment and enclosure for this year:

·         We are planning to add insulation and plastic film to parts of the hatchery to reduce the heat losses.

·         Tank #1 has been moved and modified to be more like #2 & #3.  We plan to build a new stand for it to be like the others.  New egg baskets will also need to be built for this tank.

·         Gene Carey presented a clear heavy vinyl material and drawing for improving the curtain end for the downstream end of the hatchery.  While it is more expensive, it definitely looks good and should last for several years.  If temperature tests look satisfactory, we could to go ahead with the new curtain.

·         We plan to use vertical ¾ inch pipe and stainless steel screw eyes attached to our tank stands to allow our tanks and stands to float up safely in case of flooding.  This will prevent the tanks from rolling, and when the water goes back down the tanks will resume their original position again.

·         After much discussion on how to reduce the silt in our tank water, we decided to investigate a nearby stream that may be a source for cleaner water and better pressure.  Since water tests will be needed, water flow available throughout the winter determined and possible permissions needed, we will not be able to complete this modification this year.  This would be a fairly large project for us to undertake, but the benefits could solve both the silt and the water supply pressure problems expected during flood conditions.

·         Scheduled work days to do the modifications will start Sept. 4th at 9:30 AM and continue each Sunday, same time, thereafter until the work is completed.

Meeting adjourned at around 8:30 PM.  Our next meeting will be held on September 22nd at 7 PM in the Camden Rod and Gun Club Building.

Respectfully submitted,

Arley Morey, Club Secretary

July 28, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:

Aug 3, 2011   //   by Geoff Schaake   //   Cack Handed, Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes, Spey Nation Supporters  //  Comments Off on July 28, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:

July 28, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:

The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club was called to order at 7:23 PM by Tom Schneider. Treasurer Paul Miller’s e-mail was read as the treasurer’s report: During June, for the VHS testing and Ziegler on behalf of the State of Maine in payment for our eggs. We also received and deposited $3630.00 from Spey Nation.  Treasurer’s report was accepted as read. The Secretary’s minutes from last month’s meeting were read and accepted.

 

Items discussed at this meeting: ·

  •  Possibility of getting a waiver on the testing of our fish based on the fact that the eggs are taken from certified healthy fish, then hatched and raised in the water that they will be released into; ·
  •  We need a local building space in which we can store club equipment; ·
  • August meeting to be held at the hatchery in order to plan needed equipment modifications;
  •  Oneida Lake meeting to be attended by Tom and I, representing our club; ·
  •  Stream survey to be held in early September to analyze what our fish have available to eat and live on; ·
  •  Possibility of reducing mailing costs by reducing minutes/news mailings to quarterly from monthly; ·
  • Harden would like to have us remove the silt fence above the hatchery; we need to work on a silt control scheme at our hatchery meeting; ·
  • · We plan to update our streamside Atlantic salmon identification posters.

Meeting adjourned at around 8:30 PM.

 

Our next meeting will be held on August 20th at 9 AM at the hatchery in order to plan needed changes to our equipment.

Fish Creek Atl Salmon Club Minutes

May 29, 2011   //   by Geoff Schaake   //   Cack Handed, Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes  //  Comments Off on Fish Creek Atl Salmon Club Minutes

May 26, 2011 Meeting Minutes/News:

The monthly meeting of the Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club was called to order at 7:11 PM by Tom Schneider.  There was no Treasurer’s report as Paul is on vacation.

The Secretary’s minutes from last month’s meeting were discussed and accepted.  The flash flood that hit our hatchery on April 25th caused an increase in the mortality rate of our recently hatched salmon as they were still living off the attached egg sacks and learning to swim and eat food from the water.  The extremely high levels of silt and water were devastating.  Equipment modifications need to be made before next year.   Filtering the silt would be desirable.  Securing of our tanks in a way that would allow them to float safely up and down with the water level would be desirable.  This is part of the fine tuning of learning to operate the hatchery in its new setting in the flood plain.  These are items that we plan to address; so, any ideas that you feel would work best should be submitted as soon as possible.

Tom reported on the outcome of this year’s efforts to get surplus Atlantic salmon from the Vermont hatchery.  The timing of us getting their fish tested to meet NYS requirements before the June seasonal shutdown of the hatchery was the biggest problem.  We could not get the fish tested with the 28 day turn-around of the tests before the hatchery shutdown.  We have since learned that the test facility has a more expensive test schedule with a 14 day turnaround, which we may use in the future if timing looks like it is a problem.  Tom also had been working with the Onondaga County Carpenters Brook Hatchery people to arrange for transportation of the Vermont fish with their large 3 tank truck.  We will continue this effort so that it can be available for future chances to get the surplus fish transported safely.

Jim Lawler reported that the 65 fish sample of our fish was selected and shipped to the laboratory on May 25th, for VHS testing.  With the 28 day turn-around we should have results by June 22nd.  The following Saturday is the Spey Nation event, but that following Sunday – June 26th, would be open for stocking our fish.  Dave Miller is preparing supplies for our stocking event, getting new bags and oxygen ready for transporting of the fish.

Tom is planning to contact Harden Furniture to ask if they have any storage space where we could store all of our club equipment.  Our guide boat form should be stored under cover, or could be sold if we could find an interested buyer.  Dick Kirby suggested that we ask Harden if there is anything we can do to help them in advertising their support for the hatchery.  Work on finishing the roof of the hatchery should be checked also.

Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM; our next meeting will be held on June 23rd at 7 PM at the Camden Rod and Gun Cub.

Respectfully submitted,

Arley Morey, Club Secretary

Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Update

May 12, 2011   //   by Geoff Schaake   //   Cack Handed, Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club Minutes  //  Comments Off on Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Update

April 28, 2011 Meeting News/minutes:


Heavy rains over-night, added to a record amount of rain for April, created concerns of flooding at our new hatchery.  This prompted Paul Miller to do an early morning (April 28th, 7:30AM) inspection of the hatchery.  He immediately called together an emergency response team to prepare the hatchery for the rising water.  We did everything that could be done to secure the hatching trays and tanks, which contained our recently hatched-out Atlantic salmon.  Our work was completed by 11AM and the water was still rising.  Paul presented photos at the meeting of the things we did.  A work session is planned for this Saturday, April 30th at 9AM, to clean up the debris from the flooding and restore the tanks to their normal locations, provided the water has receded by then.

Tom Schneider reported progress on our plans to the get surplus Atlantic salmon fry from the Vermont Hatchery on Grand Isle.  The fish are being reserved for us, but the time required to have the VHS testing on the fish (about 28 days) is a possible problem for getting the fish before their hatchery is closed for the season around June 1st..  It may mean a mid-week transport and stocking will be needed.  Tom is trying to get the Onondaga County Carpenter Brook Hatchery folks to help us out with the transportation by using their large fish stocking truck and driver.  We would reimburse them for their expenses.  This could add an additional 20,000 to 30,000 fish to our stocking plans for this year.  Paul will check out and coordinate the testing details with the Ag and Markets folks and the testing lab folks for both the Vermont fish and the fish that we are raising.
Jim Lawler brought us up to date on the up-coming Isaac Walton stream survey for the West Branch of Fish Creek.  The survey is to determine what kinds of organisms are living in the stream which can be food for fish in the creek.  This is important information for us to obtain for understanding what is there to support our fish, once they are stocked.  We will need to provide boots in the creek to help get the data together, probably in August or September of this year.
Our next meeting will be held at 7PM on May 26th at the Camden Rod and Gun Clubhouse.
 
Respectfully submitted,
Arley Morey, Club Secretary

Pages:«123

Facebook Feed

Stay Informed

Subscribe via RSS